A recent incident with a hired skid steer loader (Bobcat) resulted in the plant overturning.
Fortunately, there were no injuries though the equipment has been damaged.
There are several lessons from this incident:
- Plant operations must be conducted in accordance with the SWMS Powered Mobile Plant and the operator’s manual. Both these documents are to be reviewed and acknowledged prior to operations.
- Pre-start checks, daily and periodic maintenance is to be conducted in accordance with the operator’s manual.
- Plant is only to be operated by competent and experienced personnel who can demonstrate their skill to a competent person at the commencement of the wave. This also known as Verification of Competency (VoC) and it may be necessary to outsource this activity.
- On-site training is not to be conducted unless authorised in the OPORD.
- A Safety 5 is to be conducted by the STL at each new site or when new people join the ST.
- The use of seat belts is mandatory to ensure the operator’s safety in the event of a rollover.
- The use of a helmet may help prevent or moderate an injury and is a prescribed item of PPE.
Please ensure appropriate distribution of this alert.